Monday, August 5, 2013

The Word Is - Part Six

could hear hesitation in his voice for the first time. “They were told to go home, to prevent exactly this kind of thing.”


“'This kind of thing?' This kind of thing is the price of freedom sometimes, and we pay it gladly, because you know what kind of reaction this caused. What had been a couple of rioters trying to get attention, trying to start a second Occupy Wall Street, suddenly turned into... this.”


The crowd scene faded away and cut to a concrete wall with graffiti on it, a pair of fists crossed at the forearms, one white, one black, the forearms two solid red lines. “The Urban Warfare group started because some cop couldn't keep his shit together when a girl through a cup at him, and because a bunch of other cops decided to hold their ground instead of turning over their fellow officers who fired into an UNARMED crowd. Don't tell me that these people, these peaceful law-abiding people, were the ones who started it. They're just going to be the ones who finish it.”

Janus stuffed his uncertainty and replaced it with righteous anger. “Finish it. Interesting choice of words. Finish the people who died when the NSA data mining center was blown up? Finish the people who died in the field because their covers were blown when some whistleblower thought it was important to reveal millions of pages of classified material? Finish the people on the army base when hackers sent a drone slamming back into its own HQ?”


I cocked my head to the side. “I don't condone violence, and if you knew anything about me at all, you'd know that, but since you're bringing up the movement, let's talk about that drone slamming back into the base. You know the hackers responsible posted their side of the story on about a dozen different sites – that it was supposed to be an unarmed drone, and apparently the US government was flying drones with live missiles over its own population, for use ON its own population. How on earth do you want to justify that?”


“The drone was tasked with stopped terrorism in the US, and the CIA...”


“The CIA isn't CHARTERED to operate on US soil!” I shouted. “They don't have any business flying armed drones over people in their homes. And you know that, but yet, somehow, you don't care. Because the CIA, the NSA, the US government is bought and paid for, lock, stock and barrel by corporations, who are STILL given the constitutional protection as a human being! How insane is THAT? You know that over two hundred people were arrested last year under the pretext that criticizing corporations was slander? And no judge has struck it down, because big business is buying them left and right, leaving us, the common people, to take back our country, through any means necessary.”


“Even if that means killing a few hundred people?” Apathe asked.


I narrowed my eyes at her. “Thomas Jefferson, flawed man that he was, still had some valid points. 'The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.' We didn't call ourselves Urban Warfare because we wanted to offer everyone a hug. You know, for the longest time, I thought the gun nuts were insane, trying to barricade themselves up mountains, saying the government was coming to take their guns from them.” I shook me head. “Now I still think they're insane, but at least they left a giant stash of weaponry for more sane people to take.”


“Now we're getting somewhere,” Janus said, a bit of resolve back in his voice once more. “Tell us about the weaponry.”


I shook my head and pointed at the Urban Warfare symbol, still hanging there on the wall. “You know what we learned from terrorists? We learned how to be the little guy. We learned how to fight battles without anyone seeing. We learned how to compartmentalize and contain, how to make sure that no matter who you captured, no matter who you tortured, no matter who you tried to peel open, that no one would have more than a handful of information. You may think I'm some great prize, the Osama Bin Laden of the hacker generation, but really, all you've done is capture an icon, and probably martyr me,” I said with a bitter laugh. “So, you know, well done with all of that.”


“You won't be martyred – you'll just disappear,” Janus answered. “No more messages, no more communiques, no more diatribes posted to the internet. It'll all just go... silent.”


I threw back my head with a wild laugh. “You're kidding, right?” I turned to look at the two of them, and they were both peering at me like I was talking in tongues. That only made me laugh even harder. “Wow. I mean, just, wow. Really?” I paused, my eyes widening as I grinned at them. “REALLY? Oh man, that's rich.” I waved my hand and the graffiti disappeared only to be replaced by an image of me giving a speech to a camera. “You remember this? It got a lot of press.” The other version of me was talking about how they were going to pry open the locks on every email, every phone call, and turn them over to the American people. It was a great speech. I let the memory play and the camera turned off. Then the version of me shimmered and transformed into a smaller man, who looked quite different. Then the real younger version of me walked towards him clapping, a broad smile on his face. “Well done. I couldn't have said it better myself.” I snapped my fingers and paused it. “I showed you this one, because I was there for it. But it wasn't me. Most of the time you see some footage of me talking, it isn't me. It's a computer

No comments:

Post a Comment