Monday, July 29, 2013

What's this all about then?

Like all creative people, I get distracted easily, by things like shiny objects, flashing lights, online games, cat videos and songs with catchy choruses. And that prevents me from doing a lot of the things I want to get done, so I'm giving myself a new challenge - one thousand words a day, five days a week. EXACTLY one thousand words a day, five days a week. That means that passages will break off mid sentence and pick up mid sentence the next day, or even the next week. I'm writing this book without a net, while I'm working on a couple of other novels and a handful of additional projects. I'm not going to advertise or point this blog out to people for a while, until there's a backlog and I'm sure I can stick with it. We authors are finicky people.

A handful of things to know: 1) I don't necessarily have to write 1k words a day. I can write stuff in advance and space out, so that I'm ahead of the game, as long as I'm posting a thou a day. 2) I don't have this whole story plotted out in my head. I have a concept, a starting point and some general characters, but this is Live Novel Writing, which means that stuff may have to get ironed out in post, so if you see continuity stuff, etc., I'll fix it when I'm throwing it all together to show to a publisher. 3) I have a published novel out already (which you can buy here for not a whole lot of scratch. 4) I'm planning on having a second novel (not a sequel to the first) out before the end of the year, on top of this project. 5) I like writing things in numbered lists. 6) I am not writing this book for you or anyone else, but I welcome feedback if that strikes your fancy, and it may influence the direction the story is going. 7) It may not, so take that for what it's worth. 8) I don't know how good the quality of this is going to be, but hey, we all gotta try something new sooner or later, so let's dance, internet, let's dance...

Now playing: "Bad Wings" by The Glitch Mob

No comments:

Post a Comment